VpCI®-609S (with Silica) is a water-soluble Vapor phase Corrosion Inhibiting (VpCI®) powder for wet or dry corrosion protection of ferrous metals and aluminum.
- Conforms to MIL-I-22110C
- Provides liquid, vapor-phase, and interface protection (above the liquid level)
- Creates a monomolecular inhibiting layer on metal surface
- Provides up to 24 months of continuous protection
- Does not contain nitrites, phosphates, or heavy metals
- Conforms to NACE Standard TM0208-2008
- Vapor-phase inhibiting action protects inaccessible and recessed surfaces
- Protected products can be shipped to customers without removing powder
- If the VpCI layer is disturbed by moisture or the opening of an enclosed space, the layer is replenished by continuous vapor redeposition
- Little or no surface preparation is required
- Prevents future corrosion of pre-coated and painted surfaces
- Does not increase alkalinity
- Provides economical protection for very large applications
- Tubular structures, pipes, and vessels
- Internal surfaces of compressors, turbines, engines, tanks, boilers, heat exchangers
- Steam condensate lines, closed circuit heating, and cooling systems
- Equipment during and after hydrostatic testing
- Parts, components, and completed assemblies during shipping and storage
- Additive to shot-blasting media, wet blasting
- Additive to standing water
- Voids, cavities, and tanks
Method of Application:
Apply VpCI-609S in dry form by dusting, fogging, or sprinkling. Apply VpCI-609 in aqueous form by spray, brush, flush, or immersion. After application, simply
cover and close or seal the interior cavity or void. Fogging is easily achieved by using a low pressure air hose and sandblast cup. Inverted shop vacuums and
large conventional sandblasting systems can also be used.
For powder application with average environmental conditions, use 0.3-0.5 ounce (8.5-14 grams) of VpCI-609 per 1 cubic foot (28 liters) of enclosed space (300-
500 g/m3). The dosage can be increased for more severe conditions. For aqueous applications with average environmental conditions, use 0.5% VpCI-609S by weight
of water. The dosage can be increased for more severe conditions. To improve the wetting of metal surfaces, Cortec S-5 Wetting Agent can be used at the rate of 0.5%
by weight of VpCI-609S powder.
Appearance: Off-white to light brown crystalline powder
pH: 6-7 (1% aqueous solution)
Solubility in Water: 15%
Density: 38-39 lb/ft3
PACKAGING AND STORAGE:
VpCI-609S powders are available in 5 pound (2.3 kg) - Cortec Item #13902439, 50 pound (23 kg) - Cortec Item #13900427, and 100 pound (45 kg) - Cortec Item #13900426 moisture barrier bags packed in fiber-lined drums. Store in a sealed container in a dry warehouse, and avoid direct exposure to sunlight with temperatures not exceeding 150°F (65°C). Under these conditions, shelf life is up to 24 months.
METHOD OF REMOVAL:
When required, VpCI-609 in powder form can be removed by using a low pressure air gun or by a water rinse. Typically, if applied in aqueous form the product
does not require removal.
- Do not use on copper, copper-based alloys, and other soft yellow metals. Compatibility with non-metallics should be evaluated.
- Caking of powder may occur when it is exposed to moisture and then dried. The likelihood of this is increased when powder is exposed to high heat and multiple wet/dry
cycles. When powder gets caked, baked, and hardened it requires removal by mechanical means or by aggressive acid clean. To avoid caking of powder do not over apply
or unevenly disperse the dry powder. In aqueous applications make sure powder has been totally dissolved before using.
- Powder is not soluble hydrocarbon fluids. Rinse powder from vessels before adding hydrocarbon fluids.
- Powder should be removed from area, 5 -10 inches on each side of weld, before welding or other high temperature processing.
VpCI-609S TOXICOLOGICAL TESTING RESULTS (Performed by RF Rogaland Research (Norway))*
Skeletonema costatum - 72 h EC50 (mg/l): 240
Acartia tonsa - 48 h LC50 (mg/l): 100
Corophium volutator - 10 d LC50 (mg/kg dry weight): 1410
Biodegradability (Marine BOD28) (%): 100
Bioaccumulation potential (log POW): <0
*Testing performed in accordance with Oslo-Paris com - mission protocol
Note: Regular VpCI-609 has a tendency to clump. For dry fogging application use VpCI-609S (with silica) where acceptable. Not recommended for steam application such as boilers, turbines, steam piping, etc.